I was never a sloppy joe fan growing up. In fact, it was the meal I hated most next to shepherds pie (yuck!). In recent years, I find myself having the same food battles with my children that my mother once had with me. When I ran out of meal ideas for the world’s two picked eaters, I remember how all kids (except me) love Sloppy Joe’s. Lucky me for mine didn’t take after me and they fell in love with the dish instantly. I love Philly Cheesesteaks. Normally I use the Steam Um’s brand Steak to make a sandwich, but unfortunately, I didn’t have any on hand, so one night I was forced to improvise.
Over time I’ve made several variations of the meal, with my favorite being the Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joe.
The perfect thing about this meal is that I can make it with meat for the children and use tofu/quinoa for myself. It’s the perfect meal for me since I’m going meatless for the month of the September. I decided not to traumatize my children, so they will stick with ground beef. LOL!!
Lucky for me this meal takes roughly 20 minutes to complete from beginning to end. The ingredients are all things most people keep in their kitchen anyway, so when it comes to whipping up a pot of this, it can be done. The best part, if you find yourself hungry in the middle of the night, you can just fix you a small portion of this and your good to go!
This is one of my favorite quick and easy meals. Especially with the kids being in the middle of their sports season. If I we have a late game or unexpected mid-week practice, this becomes our go-to meal because EVERYONE will eat it. Keyword: EVERYONE.
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK SLOPPY JOE
INGREDIENTS: (serving for 8)
- 1 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- brown mushrooms minced
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt (add for seasoning at your leisure)
- black pepper (add for seasoning at your leisure)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup beef broth
- Cheese Whiz or Slice American Cheese
- Kings Hawaiian Rolls
For Vegan Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joe:
1/2 block Tofu
1 package of Quinoa.
Look for the recipe here.
- Add the ground beef to a large cast iron skillet (this browns very well) and brown until a deep brown crust appears before breaking the beef apart.
- Stir the ground beef and brown until a deep crust appears on about 50 or so percent of the beef.
- Remove the beef (you can leave the fat) and add the butter and the onions and bell peppers and mushrooms.
- Let brown for 1-2 minutes before stirring, then let brown for another 1-2 minutes before stirring again.
- Add the beef back into the pan.
- In a small cup mix the beef broth and cornstarch together
- Add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, beef broth/cornstarch mixture into the pan.
- Cook until the mixture is only slightly liquidy (about 75% of the mixture is above liquid), 3-5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add in the provolone cheese.