My baby brothers birthday is Christmas day. This year he requested we have chicken and waffles for breakfast. So I decided to mix it up a little bit this year and throw in some blueberries and do beer battered chicken instead.
For the children, we had a toppings bar. Since everyone wanted something different, I decided to mix it up so that we could all enjoy our food the way we wanted!
Most of our toppings involved fresh fruit. Strawberries, bananas, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. The children obviously wanted chocolate chips, while my mom wanted pecans.
By the way, I’ll be sharing my pecan waffle recipe in a completely different post. It was so good I just had to share.
Beer Battered Blueberry Chicken and Waffles Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- hot sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup panko crumbs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup of favorite craft beer (or regular beer)
- Fruit topping of your choice
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix together buttermilk, beer and hot sauce in a shallow bowl. Add chicken and stir to coat. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk and whisk the egg into buttermilk. Return chicken to buttermilk and stir to coat.
- Combine panko crumbs, flour, seasoned salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Pour oil into pan and heat.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk mixture and coat in Panko mixture. Fry in oil for 6 to 8 minutes, flipping over halfway through. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- To make waffles, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Separate eggs and place egg whites in a blender. Blend until frothy. Add egg yolks, vegetable oil, milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Blend until mixed well. Pour into bowl with dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Make waffles according to waffle iron instructions.
Are you a fan of chicken and waffles? Have you ever tried to make chicken and waffles at home? If not you should certainly give it a try. It makes a wonderful breakfast for dinner meal!